Good employee health has a positive umbrella effect on companies, from productivity to competitive recruitment. In fact, one study found that employees who eat healthily are 25 percent more likely to have higher job performance. Another found that regular exercise boosts work productivity by 15 percent! While not every company has an unrestrained budget to put into employee wellness programs, especially small businesses, we’ve found low-cost and no-cost ways to help!
- Arrange a company-wide run. Grab your sneakers and encourage the whole team to get involved in a charity run. Not only will this get your team motivated and moving, but joining in a local charity event will help to publicize your business to the local community. Arrange training after work and aim to get everyone involved!
- Provide healthy snacks. Take a look in your employee kitchen. Is it laden with junk food and sugary beverages? Make healthier choices by stocking the kitchen full of fresh fruit, trail mix, and plenty of bottled water.
- Hold walking meetings. Instead of sitting in the conference room for an hour a week, hold walking meetings around the office or the complex. This helps to get your team moving and may inspire some new ideas with thanks to the change of scenery and fresh air!
- Set up a team challenge. Ask everyone to track their steps for the week (most smartphones do this automatically these days). At the end of the week, award the person who walked the most with a prize.
- Offer meditation classes. While physical exercise is for the body, meditation is for the mind, which can go a long way in improving mental health. You can either offer a subscription to a self-guided meditation app, such as HeadSpace or bring in a professional for an afternoon to teach your team how to meditate.
Does your business have adequate insurance? Talk to the professionals at Jerry R. Carnahan Insurance to identify appropriate business insurance in San Antonio and neighboring cities in Texas.